We delivered an end-to-end solution to increase visibility and significantly reduce unplanned outages across our client’s telecommunications towers and equipment rooms in regional Australia. Our effective solution was adapted as a company standard.
- Our client, an oil and gas industry contractor, was engaged to construct telecommunications towers and equipment rooms in regional Australia. The construction company engaged PSA Engineering to design and commission an environmental monitoring solution to alert their control room, giving the team enough time to rectify any power supply issues or faults before an outage occurred.
- Due to the remote location of facilities, the sites were solely reliant on a power supplied by diesel generators. The contractor had been unable to effectively size UPS battery systems as they had limited visibility of their customer’s power requirements or utilisation trends. As a result, there had been multiple unplanned outages due to fuel tanks being exhausted in between scheduled refuelling runs and to air conditioning faults.
- PSA Engineering successfully delivered an end-to-end solution to significantly reduce the incidence of power outages.
- End-user focused design ensured control room operators did not require training for new monitoring applications.
- We provided a trend analysis, providing the client with greater visibility so they could accurately calculate battery capacity forecasts and account for resizing and upgrades in their annual operation and maintenance budget cycle.
- Our effective solution was adapted as a company standard for deployment to future sites.
- We delivered the project on time and within budget, meeting the client’s requirements.
PSA Engineering delivered a two part solution to address our client’s key issues.
Firstly, we designed and commission an environmental monitoring solution that significantly reduced the power outages across their facilities.
Secondly, we provided valuable analysis to give our client greater visibility of their customer’s needs, helping them to plan effectively.
- Our end-to-end solution included:
- Design of software and the interface between the existing system and the new telemetry system
- Supply, programming, installation and commissioning of the communication interface
- Supply of measurement and interface software and materials, including:
- Honeywell RC500 RTU
- Fuel gauges
- Smoke detectors
- Wireless (900mhz) hazardous area certified hydrostatic level transmitters for diesel tank levels
- Fault condition alarming of air conditioner, UPS, doors and temperature
- Development of custom Honeywell Experion screens to enable control room operators to view the alerts in a familiar format, without requiring training for new monitoring applications.